Jesus Loves GRASS

Technical blog about GRASS/GIS,open source geoinformatics and MAPSERVER.

Monday, June 04, 2007

Mapserver Versus Google Earth

Thinking of using google earth as a WMS layer in your mapserver project ??! Then think again !!!

Gregor Mosheh
Reply-To: Gregor Mosheh
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 10:17:58 -0700
Content-Type: text/plain

There's no way to use Google Maps in Mapserver, due to Google's terms of
use. Some folks wrote a WMS gateway to Google Maps, for example, and got a
cease-and-desist for it.

There are other options, though, if you're willing/able to serve up your
Mapserver output via WMS. A) You could use Mapserver's WMS output in a
Google Map, because Google doesn't have a problem with that. B) Look for a
framework that supports both WMS and Google Maps and use that to import
both your WMS output and Google's basemap; I know that OpenLayers had
Google Maps support on their drawing board, but I don't know the status of
it.


Source: Mapserver Mailing List

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 11/1/10 7:51 AM, Blogger Venkat Rao Tammineni said...

Hi,

I want to know the best api UNM Mapserver (mapscript API), Google Maps API and Microsoft Virtual Earth API. Please let me know

I am waiting for your great respone.

Thanks and Regards,

Venkat

 
At 11/1/10 7:52 AM, Blogger Venkat Rao Tammineni said...

Hi,

I want to know the best api UNM Mapserver (mapscript API), Google Maps API and Microsoft Virtual Earth API. Please let me know

I am waiting for your great respone.

Thanks and Regards,

Venkat

 
At 11/1/10 9:38 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

PHP is currently the most used API for mapscript BUT slowly the mapscript people are migrating to the python API

Google Maps API is much better than the Microsoft one, I am programming with openlayers and GeoEXT and I had some nasty bugs in the Microsoft API that no one seems to know why (I have the blue screen-of-death instead of maps).

Google maps API is, simple and stable.

Also Yahoo maps API seems to be ok

 

Post a Comment

<< Home